I believe celebrities as angel investors can add value. What do some of the top angels and VCs believe? I asked several if they would hesitate to coinvest with a celebrity.
- Rob Hayes, First Round Capital – it’s all about distribution and if _any_ investor can help with that I am all for it.
- Chris Sacca, Lowercase – I don’t have qualms, but they need to pay market. No free stock.
- David Lee, SV Angel – it’s great if they add value – particularly getting hands dirty.
- Dave McClure, 500 Startups – there are advantages & disadvantages, but on avg fame should help on cust acq.
- Shervin Pishevar, Menlo Ventures – None at all. But no investor should be in name only. We all need to add value.
and Greylock Partner David Sze might have a mistaken view of who the world considers to be a celebrity 😉 — “no. I’d invest with
@quixotic and @johnolilly all day! ;)”