There’s been a lot of discussion recently about when disclaimers should accompany blog posts, news articles, etc. Since I’m a totally above-the-board kind of guy, when reading my tweets, please be aware that one or more of the following disclaimers apply:
I invested in the company or am looking to invest in the company (or the company turned down my investment and thus they are morally corrupt liars who deserve to fail).
I am friends with the founder or multiple employees. Basis of friendship may include classmates, former colleagues, awkward social interactions but we’re in the same general friend circle so we need to pretend we’re buds, blood relatives (click here for 23&Me results to see if we’re relatives).
The brand mentioned has sent me something for free and while they didn’t ask for anything particular in return, I found it odd they included a hashtag in the note. Or I’m hoping the brand mentioned will send me something for free. #SellOut.
@HunterWalk is actually a pseudonymous account representing a much larger group of people. While this explains how I fav so often, it also makes this disclosure statement difficult because I’m one degree of separation from 75% of Twitter (and the other 25% are bots).
I may be trying to gain the attention of someone in hope they will retweet me and if they don’t, will deep fav several tweets from their timeline history. If they still don’t react I may simultaneously send them friend requests on the Top 100 social networks. After that, it’s Single White Female.
If I seem to be getting into a Twitter Fight, I may also be in a DM conversation with the same person strategizing how to gain attention. This doesn’t include @rabois. I mean, he and I DM all the time but it’s the only DM stream I have that’s actually nicer and kinder than our public back and forth.
I repeat, I am not Startup L Jackson.
When you see people link to a Techmeme headline in their tweet they’re obviously trying to get that tweet included on the site. I
never rarely do that.
If I’m tweeting with journalists please be aware I classify reporters into three camps: those who I’m friends with and who also happen to be reporters, those who are reporters that I’m friendly with and those who I don’t trust. Always remember that middle bucket is looking for a story. And if you’re a reporter reading this, you’re totally in the first bucket (love ya, cover my companies please).