Spent the post-Xmas week in the Dominican Republic with family (some pics here, here and here). Polished off five books:
1) Everything Bad is Good for You – Re-read. Some of the arguments still feel too narrowly crafted – like he started with the premise and found data to support. But i generally agree with the premise – that popular culture can’t be discarded as a teacher of skills.
2) Give Our Regards to the Atom Smashers – Collection of essays with various book and magazine writers giving their tributes to the influence of comic books on their work.
3) Hiding the Elephant – The golden age of magic in 19th/early 20th century America and England
4) Biggest Game in the World – The beginnings of the World Series of Poker
5) Positively Fifth Street – And more poker 20 years later as a Harper’s writer covering Vegas’ poker scene, uses his advance to enter the game’s largest event.
Pop culture, magic, poker and comics. Yup, that’s me.
Hiding the Elephant is quite solid. His newest one is pretty good as well.